Monday, December 7, 2009

Honey Nougat

DSCN2321


Making candy is no small feat. Scratch that. Making candy is really scary. I knew there was a reason that I had avoided this task all of my life. It is not that it has a lot of hands-on work, but it requires constant monitoring, checking back persistently to ensure that the temperature of the candy has not gotten too high. It took a ridiculously long time for my candy to reach the proper temperature. Luckily, or not so luckily, I had an AP government test to study for to keep me occupied during my candy vigil.

DSCN2326

Like the macaroons, these candies would be perfect as a gift. Additionally, they would be fun to set out in a dish for guests and friends to grab during a party or a quiet evening at home watching White Christmas. Even though I was terrified of candy-making and it was not the simplest process, these were tasty enough that I would definitely make them again.

Honey Nougat
Makes about 60 candies
Adapted from Room for Dessert


1 cup honey
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup whole almonds, toasted
3/4 cup shelled pistachios
3/4 cup slices almonds, toasted
A few drops orange flower water


Lightly grease a baking sheet. Measure honey, corn syrup, and heavy cream into a heavy 4-quart saucepan, and cook, monitoring the temperature with a candy thermometer, until it reaches 265 degrees. Remove from heat and quickly stir in nuts and orange flour water. Spread hot nougat evenly onto greased cookie sheet and cool completely. Cut into 10-inch squares with a large knife brushed with oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment