Friday, January 1, 2010

Grape Pie

DSCN2777


As you may or may not have noticed, the recipes I have been doing as of late are a bit more unusual. Maybe they don't even sound as tasty as the treats I concocted in the beginning. I think I made a mistake when I first planned this project; I made the recipes as I was inspired to do so and made the ones I wanted to eat.

More and more, however, I am finding it difficult to locate recipes that appeal to my taste buds or to my desire to whip up an easy recipe. Grape pie is not something I have ever heard of in my life. It was supposed to be Concord grape pie, but my grocery store only offered me the choice between red and green grapes. Red seemed to fit the bill a little better than green, so I chose those.

To make things worse, I was putting away Christmas decorations while the pie was in the oven. It had the hopes of at least being an attractive pie, if not my top flavor choice. As I sadly packed up lights and ornaments, I paid absolutely no attention to what the pie was doing in the oven. I merely waited for the timer to go off. By the time it did, the crust was black and crispy nearly everywhere. Luckily though, there were a few pieces that were salvageable to photograph.


DSCN2767
DSCN2761

Everyone in my house agreed that a grape pie was a strange idea. Apparently, the taste didn't win anyone over, so I doubt I will ever make it again. I cannot even say that it was an attractive dessert, but I can say that the juices produced by the grapes were a gorgeous wine color, a color which I am currently obsessed with and have even painted furniture with. So, if you are having a color-themed party, this could be an interesting, if not incredibly popular, option.


DSCN2773


Grape Pie
Serves 8
Adapted from Room for Dessert


Pie Dough
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 pound butter cut into 1-inch cubes, refrigerated
6-8 tablespoons ice water


Filling
2 pounds seedless grapes
1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons tapioca flour
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon milk
Coarse sugar for sprinkling


Mix flour, salt, and sugar together. Using a food processor, add chilled butter to dry ingredients until butter is in pea-sixed lumps. Add 6 tablespoons ice water and mix until dough holds itself together; add remaining 2 tablespoons water, if necessary. Form dough into two balls, wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate. Roll out refrigerated dough into two circles 14 inches in diameter. Place one in a 9-inch pie dish and cut away overhanging edge with a sharp paring knife. Freeze for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 


Mic grapes with sugar and tapioca flour. Remove pie shell from freezer. Spread filling over crust. Lay second circle of dough over filling and tuck under. Mix egg yolk and milk together. Brush the top crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Pierce crust with pairing knife in six places. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until top is browned and filling juices are thick and bubbling. Cool before serving.

More Grape Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment