Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sangria Sorbet

DSCN2879

Clearly it was alcohol day around here. I'm not sure whether I ended up leaving all of the alcohol-centered recipes till the end or if Room for Dessert just really uses a lot of alcohol. I was talking to my brother, who goes to college in Scotland, on Facebook today and told him what I was making. He was very envious of everyone who is here and will be able to consume all of the treats I made today, but he was also shocked at the amount of alcoholic desserts I was whipping up.

"I thought you were skipping the chapter on liqueurs," he said. Oh, I am. Thinking about it, I don't even need to make my own alcohol, as there are innumerable recipes that incorporate the stuff, which I wouldn't have to make! I am actually very relieved that I decided to pass on that chapter; I definitely do not need to get any of my classmates drunk. After all, this is a school project hahaha.

One benefit that sorbets have over ice creams is the fact that they do not necessitate a custard base. The fact that they do not contain jaw-dropping amounts of cream and whole milk doesn't hurt either. Sorbets are fast and simple and don't require a lot of standing and stirring, as both ice cream and gelato do.

DSCN2888

Whoah. This sorbet is ridiculously strong. I am surprised that the flavor of the wine was as assertive as it was, considering the fact that there was more orange juice than wine in the actual sorbet. I only took a small spoonful of it, but I couldn't really take any more. I guess I do not have a very adult palette when it comes to alcoholic desserts, but there were plenty of others in my house willing to help me eat it!



DSCN2886

Sangria Sorbet
Makes about 3 cups
Adapted from Room for Dessert


3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons water
1 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups tangerine juice
1 tablespoon triple sec
Grated zest of 1 tangerine

Heat sugar and water until sugar dissolves completely. Add red wine, tangerine juice, triple sec, and zest. Chill thoroughly and freeze in an ice cream maker.

More Sorbet

No comments:

Post a Comment