Friday, September 3, 2010

World Peace Cookies

DSC_0001

Oh my goodness. The day has finally arrived, and I really can't believe it. I am leaving. UNTIL DECEMBER. Yeesh. That sounds ridiculous, no? While I'm telling you things, I should probably tell you that I don't move into my dorm until September 18th, and I don't even start classes until the 27th. Regardless, I am leaving America for nearly four months.


Because I will be flying and because over three million other people will be joining me in the air, there seemed no treat more fitting than World Peace Cookies. A little peace, or a little cookie, can only help. Of course, world peace is not likely to be achieved any time soon, but the sentiments that come along with these cookies are comforting. Love, and sharing, and happiness. That's right, these cookies bring all of those things.



20100208-cookiebar-doriejosh

Another reason I wanted to share these cookies with you is that Dorie Greenspan's pop-up cookie shop was featured in the most recent issue of Bon Appetit. I first tasted these wonderful confections at the very same shop when it was open in New York in February. Dorie Greenspan is one of my idols. She has a passion for baking and writing that is enviable and inspiring. She is incredibly talented, but she is still approachable and, from what I could tell, very down to earth.


My mom and I are doing a little touring around Europe before I go to St. Andrews. One of our destinations just so happens to be Paris, where Dorie lives on and off during the year. While she is currently back in the States, I want to tour Paris as Dorie might, hunting down chocolate shops and tasty boulangeries.


 I will have these cookies to keep me on track and fortify me for my explorations. To put it lightly, they blow my mind. The texture reminds me of oreos, in the best way possible. They are crumbly and sandy and very satisfying. The hint of salt in the background rounds out the flavor of the chocolate and makes it quite easy to pop cookie after cookie in my mouth without keeling over from sickening sweetness. I leave these for you as a parting gift. Enjoy!



DSC_0003

World Peace Cookies
Makes 36 cookies

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel or 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 3/4 cup store-bought mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda together in a bowl. Cream the butter until it is soft and fluffy. Add the brown sugar, the sugar, the salt and the vanilla extract and beat for 2 minutes more until the mixture is light and creamy. Add the flour mixture and beat until the mixture is just combined, careful not to over-beat. Dump the chocolate chips into the bowl and mix quickly until the chips are evenly distributed. Divide the dough in half, roll each half into a log about 1 1/2-inches in diameter, and freeze for 30 minutes. Once the dough has chilled, slice the logs into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Bake for 12 minutes, rotating halfway through. The cookies will be very soft in the center, but that is how they are meant to be. Cool completely on a wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment